We bake carrot or beetroot cake, then why not potato cake? Today I have a recipe from an American book from 1837 for sweet potato cake. If I hadn’t told Bartek what it had been made of, he would have been convinced that it was a carrot :) The color, consistency as well as taste are similar to well-known carrot cake.
The difference is that this cake is much more moist. What is incredible is that it doesn’t require a lot of work to prepare it :) The mould, which I used, is 24cm in diameter.
Sweet potato cake
- Icing sugar to sprinkle the cake
- 1 1⁄4 cup of cream 30 prcnt
- 3⁄4 cups of icing sugar
- 3 1⁄3 oz. of butter
- 1 pc of egg white
- 3 pcs of yolk
- 20 oz. of sweet potatoes
- Peel sweet potatoes, dice, pour cold water and cook like potatos, until they are soft.
- Beat them with a mallet until smooth consistency is formed.
- Add 3 egg yolks, melted butter, icing sugar, cream, 1 egg white. Mix everything (use a blender if necessary)
- Line baking mould with baking paper. Put the dough into it.
- Bake the cake in the oven in 180 degrees for 1hour and 15 minutes. Leave the cake to cool down. The cake is moist and consistent. Serve with a bit of icing sugar.
Original content of the recipe from 1837
Boil two pounds of potatoes till soft, beat them in a mortar, and rub them through a sieve till quite fine. Mix in half a pound of fresh butter melted, beat up the yolks of eight eggs, and the whites of three. Add half a pound of white sugar pounded, half a pint of white wine, and stir them well together. Grate in half a nutmeg, and stir in half a pint of cream. Lay a good puff paste at the bottom and round the edges of your dish, pour in your mixture, and bake it of a nice brown.Read more »
If you like this recipe, give it a like or share it with friends. Thank you! :-)@lenagryszko
See all recipes
About the author:
Follow me on Instagram
Cooking is my #1 passion. I love to collect cookbooks from different countries. Several times a year, together with my husband, we travel to discover new and unforgettable flavors. I can’t imagine my life without tasty and good quality food.