I saw a native-born Sicilian preparing for us spaghetti with pesto :) Mamma Mia! How good and authentic in taste it is!
On the Internet, you can find plenty of recipies with pesto. I have also tried to prepare it more than once. However, evey time I did, I wasn’t impressed with the taste. This recipe is perfect. Enjoy :)
Spaghetti with basil pesto
- Pinch of pepper, salt and sugar
- 3 oz. of parmesan cheese
- 2⁄5 cups of cold water
- 1 pc of garlic clove
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1⁄3 cups of almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cup of pistachios
- 1⁄2 cups of pinenuts
- 4 1⁄2 oz. of spaghetti pasta
- 1 pot of fresh basil
- Pick the basil leaves, wash them, dry gentry and put 1/3 of them in a food procesor.
- Add a handful of pinenuts, pistachios, a few almonds and 1/3 of parmesan cheese. Add pressed garlic and 2 spoons of olive oil and blend everything for about 2 minutes.
- Next, add a bit of every nut, basil leaves, 3 spoons of olive oil and a bit of cold water as well as a few cubes of parmesan cheese. Blend everything for another 2 minutes.
- After that, add the rest of nuts and basil leaves, add 2 spoons of olive oil, pepper and sugar as well as the rest of parmesan cheese.Blend until getting uniform texture. Then, add the rest of water- check the thickness of pesto.
- It is crucial to add the ingredients gradually. Thanks to that, everything mixes well. Sugar enriches the taste. Pesto can be made only from pinenuts, however, Giusy explained to me that pistachios and almonds match well. Walnuts and hazelnuts can also be used.
- Cook pasta according to the instructions on the packaging. Before serving, mix hot pasta with the sauce. Finally, sprinkle it with a bit of olive oil and nuts (if you have some left :))
Original content of the recipe from 1900
Pound the garlic and basil to paste in a mortar add the cheese and continue pounding until a thick paste results, then slowly add oil until you have a mixture the consistency of mayonaise. A few almonds, pine nuts or even walnuts pounded into the paste make an interesting variation.Read more »
Cooking is my #1 passion. I love to collect cookbooks from different countries. Several times a year, together with my husband, we travel to discover new and unforgettable flavors. I can’t imagine my life without tasty and good quality food.