I have proven more than once that we have a weak spot for pancakes. I’m not even sure if there is anyone who doesn’t like them. They are suitable for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They are very easy and fast to prepare, and the taste is so addictive that you have to have them more than once. Especially, if you try these pancakes. I have been polishing up this recipe at least 10 times and finally, I have an ideal solution for wonderful, thin, French pancakes filled with orange taste, which is brought out by orange liqueur. I invite you to excellent breakfast, lunch or dinner – as you like :)
Below you will find traditional recipe. The author herself states : “ Pancakes prepared this way are delicious, far more tastier than with marmalade. “ and it’s true. You won’t be disappointed. I don’t bake, but fry them. Moreover, I heat up the orange sauce, which makes it thicker. Anyway, you will find the exact recipe below :)
Pancakes in orange sauce
- Optionally a few spoons of orange jam
- Spread thin layer of orange jam onto a pancake. It’s not necessary, but believe me the taste will be incredible.
- Fold every pancake in a triangle shape, and put it onto the frying pan with hot orange sauce.
- I can fit 4 pancakes on my frying pan. I put them all at the same time and after about 2 minutes, flip them to the other side. I like them crispy on the outside, thus, I leave them on the frying pan until they are slightly brown.
Orange sauce for pancakes
- 2 tablespoons of orange liqueur
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1 pc of orange
- 1⁄4 cups of brown sugar
- Scald an orange with boiling water and grate the skin. Cut the orange into halves and squeeze the juice. Also, squeeze the juice from half of a lemon.
- The order of steps is the mystery behind preparing a good sauce: firstly, put sugar onto the frying pan, creating a thin layer. There shouldn’t be any lumps and make sure that sugar is spread evenly. Heat it up, simmer until sugar starts melting.
- When you notice that sugar is melted, don’t wait any second longer (sugar burns very quickly) and add butter, orange and lemon juice, orange liqueur and grated orange peel. Increase the heat and wait for the sauce to thicken. Stir with a wooden spatula and after around 4 minutes, you will get ideal sauce.
Basic recipe for pancake dough
- 2⁄3 cups of water
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 pcs of egg
- 2 cups of wheat flour type 450
- Blend flour, milk, water and egg. The dough should have liquid consistency.
- Add a bit of oil onto a frying pan, it’s important that the surface of the frying pan is only slightly damped with oil. If you don’t have a special brush, you can soak a bit of paper towel and use it to spread the oil onto the frying pan.
- Use a ladle to get the dough and spread it onto the frying pan with circular movements. It is better to hold the frying pan in one hand and tilt it in different directions for the dough to spread evenly.
- As soon as you notice the edges of the pancake not touching the frying pan, so called ‘’crown’’ is created and the pancake has changed its color, flip it to the other side, using wooden spatula.
- When the pancake is ready, put it on a plate, damp the frying pan with some oil and fry other pancakes.
Original content of the recipe from 1910
Skórkę z całej pomarańczy otrzeć o kawałek cukru, potem pomarańczę przekrajać i sok z niej wycisnąć na talerz głęboki, włożyć ów kawałek cukru i jeszcze 2 łyżki cukru miałkiego, wcisnąć sok z całej cytryny, wlać łyżkę sklarowanego masła i duży kieliszek koniaku i wszystko to razem dobrze wymieszać. Upiec naleśniki zwyczajne lub francuskie, na każdy z tych naleśników włożyć kawałek surowego masła wielkości orzecha, wlać łyżkę powyższego sosu pomarańczowego, zwinąć w trójkąt i ułożyć jeden obok drugiego na półmisku, potem je wstawić na 10 minut do pieca, w wyjąwszy posypać cukrem i podać zaraz na stół. W ten sposób przyrządzone naleśniki są wyborne, daleko smaczniejsze jak nakładane marmoladą.Read more »
Cooking is my #1 passion. I love to collect cookbooks from different countries. Several times a year, together with my husband, we travel to discover new and unforgettable flavors. I can’t imagine my life without tasty and good quality food.